Thank you to Alyssa Craig for these great suggestions.
‘Where’s the bar?’
Image courtesy of moggara12 at FreeDigitalPhotos.net
We can all use a little mood booster from time to time and going for a natural high is the best way to go. Fortunately, chasing after a natural high does not require a lot of cash. Here are 20 great ways you can get that natural high for next to nothing.
1) Aromatherapy: Some scents such as vanilla and lavender activate endorphins. These scents are easily accessible in sprays, candles, and even perfumes to keep around the house.
2) Exercise: Go for a great run, hike a mountain, or do some yoga. The more vigorous your exercise, the stronger the activation of those endorphins you will experience.
3) Eat Some Dark Chocolate: Yes, dark chocolate has been shown to produce a little natural high. Be careful not to overdo it, but a handful should do the trick.
4) Listen to Music You Enjoy: Whether country gets you going or you need a little alternative rock to feel better, listening to your favorite tunes can help your brain release mood boosting chemicals.
5) Eat Spicy Foods: The body responds to spicy foods in the same way it responds to pain – with endorphins! So add some more peppers to your meal or kick up the curry.
6) Acupuncture: This should be done by someone with experience and training, but acupuncture therapy can help provide a natural high and relaxation.
7) Humor: Find ways to laugh each day. Read a funny story, watch a television show you enjoy, or joke around with friends. As mentioned here, humor is a great way to experience that natural high.
8) Group Fitness: Exercise makes the list twice because while getting in a great workout will get you that natural high, studies have shown that exercising with a group of people will do an even better job of releasing endorphins.
9) Positive Thinking: Simply changing the way you think can do wonders for your situation. Allowing yourself to be weighed down by negativity will affect you as adversely as thinking positively will build you up naturally.
10) Eat Your Favorite Comfort Foods: Sometimes we just need grandma’s chocolate chip cookie recipe or your favorite steak and mashed potatoes to feel better. This really does help, so now and then be sure to indulge in your favorite foods.
11) Meditate: Taking time to meditate each day will help give you a natural high and sense of peace. How you do so depends on your preferences, but you may meditate through prayer, breathing exercises, or simply being still.
12) Get a Massage: This can either be a professional spa experience or you can ask you sweetie to rub your shoulders. Either way, that natural high will take place.
13) Perform: Instruments, dance, singing, and theater are all great ways to not only share your talents with others, but to also get an adrenaline rush.
14) Fall in Love: A whole slew of chemicals are activated in our brains when we fall in love, including adrenaline, dopamine, and endorphins. So go ahead, take that risk. If nothing else, you will have that great high for a while.
15) Extreme Sports: Mountain climbing and cliff jumping are some great, free ways of getting that adrenaline rush. Others that may require more money or supervision include base jumping and skydiving.
16) Spend Time in Nature: Find time to go stargazing, go for a walk in nature, or even go through a drive in the countryside. Nature provides healing for the soul and you will definitely feel a little natural boost.
17) Dream: It’s possible, according to some researchers, that our brain release small amounts of a powerful psychedelic (DMT) when we sleep. This would explain some of the crazy experiences we have during our nighttime adventures.
18) Smile: Yup, it is really that simple. If you are needing a little boost, simply force yourself to smile for a nice release of endorphins and serotonin. You will soon see your mood improve dramatically.
19) Serve Others: There is a reason people who serve continue to do so. Not only do they enjoy seeing someone else’s life improve, it makes them feel good too.
20) Conquer a Fear: Whether you squish the spider on your own, apply for a job you want but have been intimidated to pursue, or tell that special someone how you feel, being brave and conquering a fear is sure to give you a great, natural rush.
So the next time your life is in need of a little lift, try some of these activities for a natural rush that will give you that desired high without a crash.